Customers are fully responsible for the condition and maintenance of all internal plumbing, including irrigation reticulation. However, Busselton Water may grant a leak allowance of up to 1,000 kilolitres to a customer who has experienced an increase in water consumption caused by a hidden leak or burst.
A leak allowance application form must be submitted to Busselton Water within three months of you receiving a bill which shows the excess water consumption. The form must be completed in full by the property owner and a licensed plumber or waterwise garden irrigator.
- The leak has occurred in circumstances beyond the customer’s reasonable care and control
- The leak is hidden
- The internal plumbing must comply with the Plumbers Licensing and Plumbing Standards Regulations 2000 and AS/NZS 3500:2003
- The irrigation reticulation system connected to internal plumbing must meet industry standards including a Watermark certified manual isolation valve, a backflow prevention valve complying with AS/NZS 3500:2003 and master control solenoid
- Repairs need to be completed by a licensed plumber or approved Waterwise Garden Irrigator
- Customers can apply for one allowance per owner per property every five years
An allowance will not be considered for:
- Leaks in appliances including air conditioners, dishwashers, hot water systems, toilet cisterns, valves
- Leaks in swimming pools and spas
- Leaks on or due to internal or external taps
- Plumbing which is considered to be substandard, in disrepair, illegal or unsuitable
- Situations where the leak is not repaired by a licensed plumber or approved Waterwise Garden Irrigator
- Situations where the internal plumbing is open ended (i.e. not connected to anything)
Leak Allowance Allowances are calculated based on 50% of the estimated wasted water volume above the average consumption (kilolitres) for the property. Allowances less than 20 kilolitres will not be considered and allowances are capped at a maximum of 1,000 kilolitres.
Special consideration may be given to claims which do not meet normal eligibility guidelines; where exceptional circumstances have contributed to the waste of water. A detailed written request will be required to be submitted with all information and or evidence to support the claim. Any allowance granted will depend on the circumstances of the incident which resulted in the water loss.
Busselton Water undertakes to inform customers of the outcome of their claim within ten business days of receipt of a completed application.