Winter sprinkler ban starts
Posted: 23 May 2017
Along with the start of winter, Thursday 1 June marks the start of the annual winter sprinkler ban for the Busselton area.
Since 2010, an annual winter sprinkler ban has been enforced as one way to conserve water. This year, Busselton Water is encouraging customers to think carefully about how they use water, particularly with the wet start to May.
“The rain we’ve experienced this month provides a terrific launch pad to minimise our water use over the winter months, particularly outside the home,” said Busselton Water Chief Executive Officer Chris Elliott.
“Last year’s water use between June and August was 41,000kL less than the same timeframe in 2015 – which was a fantastic result,” Mr Elliott said.
“In 2015, 792,649kL of water was used, while in 2016 this dropped to only 751,480kL,” he added.
“This winter, we’re keen to see another reduction in our water use – and an important first step towards this is for all of us to make sure our automated reticulation is off and we’re not using our sprinklers.”
The winter sprinkler ban applies in Perth, Mandurah, and most of the South West. Hand watering and pressure testing of bores is permitted once a week on your normal rostered watering days, before 9am or after 6pm, for two minutes per station.
Those using sprinklers between 1 June and 31 August risk being fined $100.