Frequently Asked Questions       

 What is the average annual water consumption for a residence?

The approximate average annual domestic consumption is 300kL per year for water in Busselton.

I am a pensioner.  Do I get a rebate on my water bill?

To receive a rebate under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, a customer must be the holder of either a Pension card, issued by Centrelink, a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card or a Western Australian State Seniors card.  Customers must also own and reside in the property on which they wish to lodge a claim, on 1 July in the current year. Customers cannot register a claim on more than one property and the eligible property must be the principal place of residence.

I owned and lived in my property on 1 July in the current year but I did not become a pensioner until after the 1 July.  Do I qualify for a rebate this year?

Yes you do.  Busselton Water will apply a pro-rata rebate to both the annual service charge and the first 350 kilolitres of water used in the year.

Why do we have to pay two water bills - one to the Water Corporation and one to Busselton Water?

Busselton Water is independent of the Water Corporation.  Busselton Water holds a 25-year licence to provide quality drinking water to the townsite of Busselton. Your account from Busselton Water is based on the quantity of water consumed at your property.

The Water Corporation is responsible for sewerage services in Busselton.  If your property has the availability of a reticulated sewerage service, the Water Corporation, will charge you a rate, based on the value of your property.

How can I pay my account?

You can pay your account in person at the administration office of Busselton Water, or by post using cheque, money order or by using BPoint, BPay or Direct Debit facilities. 

Why do I need a Back Flow Prevention Device on my water service?

It is now an Australian Standard that every water service is fitted with a suitable device to prevent water from flowing from your property, back into the mains. Backflow Prevention - FAQs

How often does Busselton Water read water meters?

Busselton Water reads water meters every four months, at the beginning of October, February and June.  However, special interim readings are done on request for customers or their agents.  These readings are scheduled for each Thursday and a charge is payable for this service.

Which part of the water supply system to my property is my responsibility, and which part is Busselton Water’s?

Busselton Water is responsible for maintaining the system from the water main to the meter.  The property owner is responsible for maintaining the system between the meter and the premises. 

How can I check to see if there is a leak in my internal pipes?

Read all of the digits on your meter when you have finished using water at night.  Read the meter again first thing the next morning.  If there is any increase in registration, it would indicate that you have a leak. For more information click here.

How much water does my automatic reticulation in my garden use?

To find out how much water a full cycle of reticulation uses, simply read all the digits on your meter immediately before the cycle starts, then read it again at the finish of the cycle.  Deduct the first reading from the second and multiply the result by the number of days you intend running the system.

If I don't pay my account will you cut my water service off?

No. Busselton Water by regulation will not cut off water to a dwelling without the consent of the occupier. However under the Water Services Act 2012 Busselton Water will consider inserting a low restriction device within the meter when customers do not respond to requests to pay overdue accounts.  An attendance fee will apply in all cases.  This action will not apply to customers who enter into an approved payment arrangement.